Hello! Welcome to my blog! Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well. Press/PR please contact me at BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Darling Girl Cosmetics Haul: Shimmery Duochromes like My Little Pony + Impervious! Swatches!


Hi there!

I've been using my ASUS Transformer tablet to take photos.  I still need to get a new camera, but until I can buy the one I want, my tablet is working out great.  I have the attachable keyboard and I use it at school for notes.  Mostly, I must admit my family and I play Dragon Story on it more than anything else.  Ah me, the $500 appliance for the free app.

I have a beautiful assortment of shimmering duochrome shadows from Darling Girl Cosmetics!  I've loved some of Makeup Zombie Wendi's swatches and was so impressed with my first order, I ordered this haul.  Now that I've swatched these, I ordered another haul.  I'm excited to get them all organized.  My precious! I told my husband I needed to get the Alex organizers from IKEA so I can finally get my makeup and jewelry out of the office and into our closet.  You'd think with a nearly 5,000 square foot house there'd be room for all of my junk- but it is all in bins or drawers around our guest bed.  People don't go in there- it's a pit.

Alright, enough of my camera woes and stockpiling- on to the DGC!


Top row, L to R:  Sultry Siren, Exhale, Scarecrow, Bubbles
Second row, L to R:  No Sign of Life, Persuasion, My Little Pony, Impervious

I ordered only Petites, which are $2.50 each and hold 1/8th teaspoon of product and smaller than a full-size.  Each jar came sealed with a sifter and I think they're perfect for stocking up.  The back stickers show the name and whether it is lip safe or not.  The ingredients are listed online at www.darlinggirlcosmetics.com.
I received as a gift with purchase a petite of Bubbles and two sample baggies, one eyeshadow called Wahine and a blush called Pink Posies.  I swatched those off center and above the 8 petite jars I ordered.

Behold the sparklehs!


The colors are swatched according to the order of the jars.  Here's the listing again:

Top, off center:  Pink Posies Shimmer Blush, eyeshadow in Wahine
Top row, L to R:  Sultry Siren, Exhale, Scarecrow, Bubbles

Second row, L to R:  No Sign of Life, Persuasion, My Little Pony, Impervious



Below are my faves- they are so chock full of shimmer and color shifting- each applied opaque and all of these swatches are bare skin only with a bit of water to foil.  Zero primer and you get this much payoff.  I am really in love with DGC right now.  Everything I've gotten from them is Aromaleigh gorgeous.  I'm so impressed.  Here are the names of the shadows below and DGC's link and description.

No Sign of Life, Persuasion, My Little Pony, and Impervious...


I'll begin from L to R with DGC's shade description, image, and ingredients.

No Sign of Life:  I had so much fun working on this collection with Sam from Kiss My Sparkle.  

Oceanic blue with a brilliant grass-green shift and baby green sparkles.

Full sizes are packaged in 5g jars with approximately 3/4 tsp of product. Petits are packaged in 3g jars with approximately 1/4 tsp of product. Samples are packaged in 2x2 zip lock baggies with approximately 1/8 tsp of product. 

Courtesy of Darling Girl Cosmetics
Ingredients: Mica, Carnauba Wax, Titanium Dioxide, Tin Oxide, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Silica, Hydrated Chromium Oxide and Ferric Ferrocyanide. NOT Lip Safe

Persuasion:  Persuasion is a gorgeous, medium lavender base with gold shift and turquoise sparkles. It is by far one of the best-selling Diamond Dusts.  It started out as a gift with purchase shade, but I was begged fervently to make this a part of the permanent collection.

Diamond Dust eye shadows are made with a super-lustrous glitter that shines like, well... diamonds. Pictures cannot do them justice.


Courtesy of Darling Girl Cosmetics
Ingredients: Mica, Carnauba Wax, Manganse Violet , Iron Oxide, Tin Oxide, Synthetic Fluorophylogopite and Silica.


And as a child of the 80's, my fave...

My Little Pony: *refomulated 02/13*  

I couldn't do this collection without My Little Pony! :) This is a color-morphing shade. At first glance it looks like a pale, pastel lavender with green shift and aqua and pink iridescence, but hold it close to a light source and it takes on a coppery rose color. I love this a lid wash with some black liner. It's simple and pretty. Try this over a dark base for a little extra POP! 


The inspiration for All The Pretty Little Horses came from one of my customers. She sent me all these beautiful "inspiration" pictures and my imagination took over. I doubt I did the beauty of these gorgeous creatures any justice, but it was a fun collection nonetheless.

I tried to take a pic so you could see the color change, but I can't capture it. :(

Courtesy of Darling Girl Cosmetics
Ingredients: Serecite, Carnauba Wax, Boron Nitride, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate and Ferric Ferrocyanide. NOT lip safe.

Impervious: Murky grey base with strong turquoise green flash and ribbon.  

Courtesy of Darling Girl Cosmetics

Ingredients: Mica, Carnauba Wax, Titanium Dioxide, Tin Oxide, Synthetic Fluorophylogopite, Silica, Iron Oxide and Chromium Oxide Green.  NOT Lip Safe.
So my swatches didn't turn out as mesmerizing, but you can see why I love these shades- they are complex and shift so beautifully in the light, I love them just to look at, much less wear.




Below is how it looks in more natural light- without the orange cast of indoor lighting.  Persuasion is much more purple with gold sparks rather than the website's rosy mauve with gold sparkle.  It's still beautiful though!


Here's a better close up (from left to right) of Sultry Siren, Exhale, Scarecrow, and Bubbles with Pink Posies blush and Wahine eyeshadow above.


Bubbles is an interesting color. It's an ivory toned taupe with a green cast and slightly pink pearl.  I am loving this.  It's what I wish Urban Decay's Midnight Cowboy could've been...a taupe with some shimmer not silver chunks of glitter.  I'm a bit in love with it.

Courtesy of Darling Girl Cosmetics
Sultry Siren is a murky green violet.  Exhale is a purple with green cast.  Scarecrow reminds me of Fyrinnae's Sluagh, a dirty plum with maroon sparks, and Bubbles is that cool ghostly taupe.

Pink Posies shimmer blush is a bright cotton candy pink that is like MAC's Pink Swoon on crack.  It's very, very bright.  Wahine is a medium toned periwinkle with a violet duochrome.

I've already described the last four and I would have to say my absolute fave of the group are Impervious and Persuasion.

None of these are duds.  They are absolutely beautiful.  For randomly picking little shades, not one is a disappointment.  Usually when I place an order one is a bomb, but with these, they're all lovely.


See any you like?  If you've not ordered from DGC yet, please do.  They're an indie brand, which means it's not some mass market product.  They're all handcrafted eyeshadows and the turnaround time is about 2 weeks.  Fair enough to wait, because these are all so beautiful.  I've heard nothing but positive about these colors from bloggers like Phyrra, Wendi (Makeup Zombie), and others.  Hope you like them too!

Have a great day,
T

P.S.  I've noticed that in edit mode, my margins on the left are all aligned but when published, look like I'm spacing and making a mess of it.  Ah me.
Photobucket

5 comments:

Burun Esteti─či said...

Really got great experience & knowledge from your blog.. thanks for sharing..
burun estetigi

Nora Logan said...

I just read the article above which had you mention your disgust for Urban Decay's 4/20 ad campaign.
And in this article you refer to a Darling Girl blush being like a MAC's Pink Swoon "on crack".
Interesting choice of words for someone so greatly offended by a fairly meaningless cheesy pot referenced ad!

Anonymous said...

In your newer post, you were greatly offended by Urban Decay's 4/20 ad.
Yet - in this article - you refer to a Darling Girl blush to be as MAC's Pink Swoon "on crack".
Interesting choice of words for someone in the health care field, and so bothered by a plant.

Baroque In Babylon said...

Hi Nora- thanks for your comment. In my mind, using a phrase like something is 'on crack' is a cliched way to say it was crazy or insanely affected, not necessarily promoting the street drug of crack being positive. It's also like saying 'holy crap'- one doesn't mean religiously influenced stool. It's a phrase and no one reading that would think I supported crack use. The email, again in my opinion, was more than a cliche- it referenced 'light it up' with a lot of drug references and I felt it was in poor taste and appeared to support marijuana. Therein lies the difference- I in no way support drug use and using a word like that doesn't imply it. My use of a phrase is a far cry from an international marketing campaign blatantly using drugs as a platform. I'm not saying i'm perfect (who is) and everything I do and say is sanctioned, but I do think there's a canyon of difference between a turn of phrase as a referential analogy and a drug focused marketing campaign. Thank you for your thoughts and I still stand by mine.

Baroque In Babylon said...

Hi Anon- thanks for your comment. With your comment so close in time and verbiage as Nora's I'm thinking it might be the same and maybe there was an accidental double comment. Either way, thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave your thoughts. It's not that I'm so bothered by a 'plant'- it's more that I felt the ad was in poor taste. In regard to the plant, I don't support marijuana use as a personal choice and my profession stems from an understanding that marijuana is carcinogenic, so it's more than a plant; it's a moral issue. I highly doubt that anyone seeing me write a product is like another but 'on crack' would think I support crack. That would be a bit of a stretch...okay, a huge one. But reading UD's email does seem to lead me to believe that UD supports marijuana and it was pretty apparent and blatant on UD's part. I get it was funny and cheesy. I can definitely take a joke. BUT I still think it was in bad taste and a mistake. It's my moral view. The key breakdown to your point- I don't make drug references in a way to support the substance, but UD's ad very much appeared to be pro-marijuana. I think it's interesting that the comments appear to be in the light of trying to point out hypocrisy or conflict of interest or intent on my part...but it's fairly appparent that saying something is 'on crack' to describe pigment intensity is a far cry from saying 'light it up' on a certain date and then using the whole ad to support that idea. My comments and views haven't been stated in a way to convince anyone, but to state my thoughts on the issue. I find it interesting that the response has been negative to my take and yet I don't have a negative response to the opposing way of thinking. I don't mind the debate at all, just find it interesting to note.